Out of the Woods: The Story of Cornwall's Forests
EXHIBITS    |    HOME



A Reverence for Trees



Postcard view of elm trees lining
Pine Street, Cornwall Village, circa 1905

Collection of Cornwall Historical Society

Certain trees have had symbolic meaning. In Litchfield, Oliver Wolcott planted thirteen sycamore trees in 1779—one for each of the new states. The Franklin Elm in New Haven was planted in 1790 to commemorate the death of Benjamin Franklin. Other trees were admired for their unusual physical attributes—trees that appeared to be growing out of rocks, including one in Cornwall, were popular curiosities during the 1800s.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Elm trees planted in front of the Second Congregational Church, North Cornwall, circa 1905
Collection of Cornwall Historical Society


Village improvement societies began planting trees to beautify town centers in the mid-19th century. In Cornwall, elm trees were planted along Pine Street by Captain E. F. Gold and John C. Calhoun in 1862. More elms were planted on School Street, Jewell Street and on the grounds of the Second Church.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Previous
Please contact us for permission to use images; higher resolution images available on request.            |          © Cornwall Historical Society, 2012