Out of the Woods: The Story of Cornwall's Forests
EXHIBITS    |    HOME



Mohawk Tower



Mohawk Tower, circa 1885
Collection of Cornwall Historical Society

In 1882, a little over one acre of land on the mountain’s peak was purchased from the Hunts Lyman Iron Company by Cynthia J. “Nina” White and Henry Norton in order to build a tower for sightseeing. Outdoor recreation and the enjoyment of nature had become popular all over the country.

Mohawk Tower opened with great fanfare on July 4, 1883 and quickly became a popular picnic site. For twenty-five cents, visitors could climb the tower and use a telescope to enjoy the view. During the 1890s, interest in maintaining the tower dwindled, and it fell into disrepair. It was finally knocked down by a strong wind in 1898.

 

 




 

 

 

Previous
Please contact us for permission to use images; higher resolution images available on request.            |          © Cornwall Historical Society, 2012