Out of the Woods: The Story of Cornwall's Forests
EXHIBITS    |    HOME



Gold's Pines



Trail through Gold's Pines, 2012
Collection of Cornwall Historical Society

In 1870, Theodore S. Gold purchased a 12 acre plot of white pine and hemlock near West Cornwall. The small forest was eventually expanded to 42 acres and became known as Gold’s Pines; today it encompasses a total of 56 acres. The original Gold stand of trees is estimated to be about 192 years old.

 

 

 

 





Tree growing on a rock, Gold's Pines, 2012
Collection of Cornwall Historical Society


 

 

 

 

Gold’s Pines was selected by the State Forester in 1932 for a study of the impact of partial thinning on a mature forest. In 1941, Gold’s Pines was acquired by Connecticut and became part of Housatonic State Forest. At the time, it was considered the second best stand of pine in the state, after Cathedral Pines.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Gold's Pines, near entrance
to the trail, 2012

Collection of Cornwall Historical Society

 

 

 

Fourteen acres of Gold’s Pines was designated a Natural Area Preserve in 2000, recognized for the uniqueness of the large, mature pine trees. It is one of a small number of surviving “old growth” forests in Connecticut and is home to Connecticut’s tallest tree, an Eastern White Pine last measured at 158 feet in height.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Parking area and entrance to Gold's Pines, with trail map and other information, 2012
Collection of Cornwall Historical Society

 

 

Gold's Pines is managed by the State of Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection's Forestry Division. The draft of a new management plan was issued in April 2012.

 

Access to Gold's Pines is located on Route 128, to the right of the Little Guild of St. Francis animal shelter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Previous
Please contact us for permission to use images; higher resolution images available on request.            |          © Cornwall Historical Society, 2012