Out of the Woods: The Story of Cornwall's Forests
EXHIBITS    |    HOME



Camp Mohawk



Cooking at Camp Mohawk, 1920s
Collection of Cornwall Historical Society

Camp Mohawk was established in 1919 as a summer camp for girls and (separately) for boys. The camp was initially referred to as a "Tri-County Camp," having been formed by the Fairfield, Litchfield, and New Haven County Committees of the Y.M.C.A.



 

 

 

 

 

 


Eating watermelon at Camp Mohawk, 1920s
Collection of Cornwall Historical Society

 

Boys camped at Mohawk from June until July, girls from July until August. Camp Mohawk was originally a Christian camping program with religious services and Bible class every Sunday.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Postcard view of the Birch Chapel at Camp Mohawk
Collection of Cornwall Historical Society

 

The camp's chapel was outdoors among the birch trees, blending religious services with nature.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Governor Templeton with the Boys in Birch Chapel,"
from the 1925 Camp Mohawk brochure

Collection of Cornwall Historical Society

 

"[Camp Mohawk was] established to provide a wholesome, enjoyable, out-of-door vacation for the boys and girls… from twelve to eighteen years of age and at the same time to help them to attain to a well-balanced Christian character."

~ Camp Mohawk brochure, 1924

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Badminton at Camp Mohawk, 2000s
Courtesy of Camp Mohawk

 

The camp became all-girls in 1967. Today, Camp Mohawk is a traditional summer camp for girls ages 7-15. Camp activities include horseback riding, canoeing, sailing, arts and crafts, and field hockey.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Previous
Please contact us for permission to use images; higher resolution images available on request.            |          Cornwall Historical Society, 2012